Sample Collection Video
Prior to collection
You do not need to fast. Please return your sample via delivery carrier on the same day. There’s no need to stop supplementation if you are taking any — it will not skew results.
To ensure your sample is tested accurately and in a timely manner, please follow these steps for preparing for your collection:
- Before collecting your sample, make sure you have activated your kit code by going to the URL located on your activation card. If this is a second or additional test, please activate your kit code to your account by logging in.
- Make sure you're well hydrated by drinking a few glasses of water at least an hour before you collecting your sample. If you're dehydrated, you may experience some difficulty producing larger, lady-bug size blood drops.
- Wash your hands with warm water (as hot as you can stand) to bring blood flow to your finger tips. Even 60 seconds in warm water increases blood flow by up to 60%.
- Get up and get moving! Even a few minutes of movement can help improve circulation. We usually recommend light walking or going up and down the stairs once.
Collecting the sample
Now you're ready to collect your sample! Just breathe, you got this. Here are some tips for getting the best possible sample collection:
- If this is your first collection, we recommend using your index or "ring" finger. This finger is usually less calloused, which will make it easier for the lancet to be effective.
- The lancet should be firmly pressed into the middle-side of the finger. Not in the middle, due to the nerves there and not too close to the side because it's more difficult to produce the amount of blood required there. Please see the picture below. Ideally, avoid choosing a spot that is either too close to the tip of the finger or are too close to the side.
- Always discard the first drop of blood onto your kit's alcohol pad without contacting swab to skin. Make sure you don't touch your fingertip to the alcohol pad to avoid contaminating your sample.
- If your blood is not flowing enough to naturally collect the required sample amount, massage where the knuckle of your collection finger and palm meet to increase blood flow
- When possible, avoid squeezing your finger to extract drops of blood, as this can negatively affect the blood sample.
- Let gravity help you! Keep your hand below your chest and point your finger downward toward the collection device, which will help the drops fall into the collection device.
At the end of your test, your sample should look like the first picture on the left:
If your sample does not look like the picture on the left, please send an email to email@example.com.
After you have dropped the blood in the collection device, leave the sample to dry for 5-10 minutes. Close the lid of the collection device and place it back in the box, and then into the provided return envelope. If the collection device is put directly into the return envelope, it will not be protected in transit and identified properly at the lab.
Sample collection help
If you need additional help or guidance with your sample collection, we'd be more than happy to help. Please chat us via the button on the lower right of your screen, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.