Sample Collection Process Celiac Screening Test
Sample Collection Video
Prior to collection
To ensure your sample is tested accurately and in a timely manner, please follow these steps for preparing for your collection:
- Before collecting your sample, make sure you have activated your kit code by creating an account at portal.imaware.health/start. If this is a second or additional test, please activate your kit code to your account by logging in at portal.imaware.health/login.
- Make sure you're well hydrated by drinking a few glasses of water at least an hour before you collecting your sample. If you're dehydrated, you may experience some difficulty producing larger, lady-bug size blood drops.
- Wash your hands with warm water (as hot as you can stand) to bring blood flow to your finger tips. Even 60 seconds in warm water increases blood flow by up to 60%.
- Get up and get moving! Even a few minutes of movement can help improve circulation. We usually recommend light walking or going up and down the stairs once.
Collecting the sample
Now you're ready to collect your sample! Just breathe, you got this. Here are some tips for getting the best possible sample collection:
- If this is your first collection, we recommend using your index or "ring" finger. This finger is usually less calloused, which will make it easier for the lancet to be effective.
- The lancet should be firmly pressed into the middle-side of the finger. Not in the middle, due to the nerves there and not too close to the side because it's more difficult to produce the amount of blood required there. Please see the picture below. Ideally, avoid choosing a spot that is either too close to the tip of the finger or are too close to the side.
- If possible, avoid squeezing your finger to get the drops required as that can affect the blood sample. If you have to squeeze the finger to get the collection started, it should be just above the knuckle.
- Let gravity help you! Keep your hand below your chest and point your finger downward toward the collection device, which will help the drops fall into the collection device.
- Make sure to slightly overfill the collection device past the marked line to ensure your sample contains enough blood to be tested.
At the end of your test, your sample should look like the acceptable sample shown below:
If your sample does not look like the picture on the left, please chat us via the button on the lower right of your screen, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you have dropped the blood in the collection device, leave the sample to dry for 5-10 minutes. Close the lid of the collection device and place it back in the box, and then into the provided return envelope. If the collection device is put directly into the return envelope, it will not be protected in transit and identified properly at the lab.
Sample collection help
If you need additional help or guidance with your sample collection, we'd be more than happy to help. Please chat us via the button on the lower right of your screen, or send an email to email@example.com.